5 Traits of a Godly Husband
It is written in Genesis 2:18 …“It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” That’s why God created a woman, to be a man’s helpmate and wife.
Marriage should be a union between a godly man, godly woman and God. This means that a husband must be a godly husband as well. Though easier said than done, to be a godly husband may be one of the toughest things that a man has to go through.
To make it easier for you, we have listed here are the 5 traits of a Godly husband:
1. Loving and Caring
“Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.” Colossians 3:19
It is also affirmed in Ephesians 5:25, “that husband should love their wife as Christ loved the church.”
To love your wife is a direct instruction from the Lord. Your wife deserves to be loved as Christ loves you and her. Always put in mind to love and treat your wife as Christ loved the Church. Loving your wife brings out a wife who respects her husband. When you love your wife, you will surely earn her respect.
A godly husband tries to be of some help to his wife rather than a burden. He should help his wife in building their home and even doing some chores. Though you think it is just a small chore, help is still help, no matter how small it is. As a husband, you must remember that even in a small way, wife appreciates your help. Helping your wife means you care for her and you love her.
“Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.” Proverbs 10:12
You are a godly husband when you know how to apologize. Apologizing doesn’t make you a smaller man, but rather a bigger man. If you had hurt your wife’s feelings, had a fight or broken a promise, learning and saying, “I am sorry” is a must. It is essential in marriage to acknowledge your faults and apologize because let’s face it, we are still human. Though you make mistakes, admitting that you are wrong is the first, but big step and will show how much you love your wife. Even if at times it is not your fault, it is a humble but generous move to apologize to your wife. Don’t forget that a simple apology can end the fight and will help you to communicate better.
3. Treating Your Wife Like a Queen
“An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.” Proverbs 31:10
An excellent wife is a reflection of an excellent husband. Every wife is great because you chose them, then, treats her right. You even don’t need to be a millionaire just to treat her like a queen. Showing how much you appreciate and value her every single day will make her feel that she is really a queen.
- One of the ways, you can show that you appreciate your wife is by remembering the special days. It’s very arrogant for a man to forget the special occasions and just says it’s not a big deal at all. Greeting your wife on the special days means a lot. And to go the extra mile, you can give her present on those special days. Your gift doesn’t have to be grand at all times, it can be from a piece of jewelry to a simple journal or maybe a book, what matters is that you remembered the special days.
- Let your wife feel valued by spending time with her. Why not go on a date and give her flowers or chocolates? Aside from a trip to the grocery, plan a date where you can spend good quality time together. Don’t let dating stops when you are already married and never think of it as a chore. Sometimes, you need to spend time away from your home and your kids to invest in your marriage. Make this a priority and you will get to know your wife more and on a deeper level.
4. Encouraging Your Wife to be a Better Person
“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11
As Christ knows the church well, you as a husband know your wife than anybody else. You know her good traits and yes, even her flaws. Love doesn’t end in just being happy and staying in love, but in encouraging each other to be a better person. Spend time together in prayer and devotion. Help your wife to overcome her flaws and weaknesses and let both of you become a godly couple. By encouraging and helping her to be a better one, she will certainly love and respect you more.
5. Listening and Giving Her needs
“But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” 1Timothy 5:8
Being a good provider does not stop in providing the financial need alone. Though it is the responsibility of a man to provide for his family’s needs, there is far more than that. Communicate and understand your wife’s needs. Let Christ be your example, as He always listens to our prayers and He answers our prayers. When your wife is in need, always be there to listen and give her what she needs.
Remember to always show Christ in your role as a husband, it will definitely bring more satisfaction and happiness in your married life.