Modestly Wearing of Jewelry
Here are simple tips to appropriate wearing of jewelry while keeping your modesty.
For hundreds of years, people have been wearing jewelry as an ornament to accentuate their look or as a symbol to make a statement of status. Even the Bible doesn’t prohibit Christians from wearing of jewelry as long as it is not taken to an extreme or overly ostentatious — overdoing it can diminish your modesty or distract from your awesome personality. Too much concern about outward appearance could defeat the more important things such as modesty, godliness and good works.
1. Wear jewelry that sends out message of faith. The cross is one of the most popular emblems of Christianity, so if you prefer to wear a piece of jewelry, choose a tiny necklace with a cross pendant to share your faith.
2. For married people- wear your wedding band and don’t take it off to let the world know that you are already committed to your spouse and you value your marriage.
3. For engaged ladies- wear your engagement ring always to let the world know that you are already betrothed and about to get married soon.
4. Avoid wearing dangling earrings; instead choose studs or small hoops that don’t draw attention away from your awesome personality.
5. Avoid wearing arms full of bracelets, but instead choose a gold heart charm bracelet or a fine bracelet with a message of faith and hope.
6. Choose gemstone jewelry to provide you the opportunity to express your unique style and personality.
Jewelry is a way of expression — the pieces of jewelry you wear tell so much about you. The inner personality is more important than the outer appearance and should therefore be given much effort and emphasis. Keep your jewelry simple and discreet!
“Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.” 1 Peter 3:3-4.